Adult Services
Child & Family Services
General Information
Disability Services
Autism Services
Birth to 3 Program
Mental Health
Child Protection Services
Foster Care
Kinship Care
Juvenile Court Services
Shelter Care
  -   FAQ
  -   Forms & Documents
  -   Links
  -   Contact Us
Family Care
Economic Support Services
Volunteer Services
Business Operations
Back To All Departments
Departments » Health & Human Services-Community Services » Child & Family Services
Kinship Care

Kinship Care is a term used to used to define a living arrangement where a minor child is residing with a relative. This can be on a voluntary or court ordered basis.

Eligibility Requirements:
  • The social worker must be able to show that the child would be at risk of abuse and/or neglect if they continued to reside in the parental home or the child has been abused and/or neglected by the natural parents.
  • The relative must demonstrate an ability to meet the needs of the child and be able to provide a safe, stable living environment.
  • The relative and any other adults residing in the home must agree to have a local and state criminal background check completed in addition to a check into any current or past involvement with Child Protective Services. Extensive contacts with law enforcement or Child Protective Services by any adult in the home may cause the applicant to be denied Kinship Care funding.
  • A home visit must be conducted to ensure that the home environment is approprate and safe for the child. If these criteria are met, the relative will be approved to receive the Kinship Care grant.
Is there any financial assistance available if I am caring for my relative's child?
The State of Wisconsin provides a grant in the amount of $215 per month per child for relatives meeting the eligibility requirements.

Are there any times that a financial supplement would not be available?
Due to limited funding, there is typically a waiting list for the program. Applicants are placed on the waiting list in the order their application was received. Once funding is available, the social worker will contact the relative to determine if they meet the eligibility requirements listed above. There is one exception in that children placed in a relatives home under a Juvenile Court Order are not subject to the waiting list.

How often will I have contact with a social worker if I am receiving the Kinship Care Grant?
Kinship Care cases are reviewed one time per year to ensure that the relative continues to meet eligibility requirements. If there are concerns about the stability of the living arrangement the social worker may have more frequent contact. Children who are placed with relatives under a Juvenile Court order will also have a social worker from the Child Protection Services Unit who will monitor the placement on a consistent basis. Social workers will be expected to visit with the child both in and out of the home on a monthly basis.

Who should I contact for more information?
Any relatives wanting to apply for the Kinship Care Grant should contact Kathy Radue directly at (920) 448-4144 and ask to have an application mailed to them.
Copyright © 2019 Brown County Government - Wisconsin Legal Notice | Waiver Disclaimer | Acceptable Use Policy
HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices | Aviso de Practicas de Privacidad
Linking Policy | Employees
Designed & Powered By DMI Studios

Non-Discrimination Notice:   English   Espanol (Spanish)   Hmoob (Hmong)  |  Language Assistance Service