Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP)
The Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) provides assistance for heating costs, electric costs, and energy crisis situations.
Most types of fuel are eligible to receive assistance. Whether you use wood, propane, natural gas, electricity, or fuel oil to heat your home, energy assistance is available if you qualify.
For general information, visit www.homeenergyplus.wi.gov/
2017 WHEAP General Info
WHEAP assistance is a one-time payment during the heating season (October 1-May 15). The funding pays a portion of the heating costs, but the payment is not intended to cover the entire cost of heating a residence. The amount of the energy assistance benefit varies depending on a variety of factors, including the household’s size, income, and energy costs. In most cases the energy assistance benefit is paid directly to the household energy supplier.
Your household may be eligible to receive a payment for non-heating electric energy costs through funding provided by Wisconsin’s Public Benefits.
WHEAP electric (non-heating) assistance is a one-time benefit payment during the heating season (October 1-May 15). The funding pays a portion of the household’s electrical (non-heating) costs, but the payment is not intended to cover the entire cost of the non-heating costs.
The amount of the non-heating assistance benefit varies depending on a variety of factors, including the household’s size, income, and non-heating costs. In most cases the non-heating assistance benefit is paid directly to the household energy supplier.
A household may be eligible for crisis assistance if you have no heat, have received a disconnect notice from the heating vendor, or are nearly out of fuel and do not have the money to purchase more. Crisis assistance is available through local WHEAP agencies that provide a 24-hour crisis phone number to help with emergencies that occur after business hours. WHEAP crisis assistance provides both emergency and proactive services.
There are also non-emergency or proactive crisis services that include providing information on how to reduce fuel costs, counseling on budgeting and money management, providing payments to a fuel supplier, and co-pay agreements.
WHEAP emergency heating system assistance can provide services to eligible home owners if the furnace or boiler stops operating during the heating season. Heating system assistance includes payment for repairs, or in some situations your residence may qualify for a total replacement of a non-operating furnace or boiler. Call the local energy assistance office immediately if you are experiencing a no heat situation.
How to Apply
Brown County Health and Human Services
Sophie Beaumont Building – 2nd floor
111 N. Jefferson St
Green Bay, WI 54301
Applications will be accepted in various formats:
- You can download a cover letter, application and verification checklist in English:
- You can download a cover letter, application and verification checklist in Spanish:
- Paper applications will be available Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm at Brown County Health and Human Services Department, Economic Support Unit, 111 N Jefferson St, Green Bay, WI 54301. You also may contact our reception desk at 920-448-6460 or email BCHSEA@co.brown.wi.us to request an application be mailed to you.
- Paper applications will also be available for pick up at the following locations:
Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC), 300 S. Adams St, Green Bay, WI 54301; office hours: 8am-4:30pm
The Salvation Army, 626 Union Ct, Green Bay, WI 54303; office hours: 9am-4:30pm
St. Vincent de Paul, 920 Weise Street, Green Bay, WI 54302; office hours: Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri 10am-1pm
- Scheduled face-to-face and telephone appointments will be available by calling Brown County Health and Human Services Department, Economic Support Unit at 920-448-6460 or by email at BCHSEA@co.brown.wi.us .
- If you live within the Oneida reservation boundaries, please apply at the Tribal Social Services Building located at 2640 West Point Road, Green Bay, WI 54304; or call 920-490-3775.